Thursday, 29 January 2009


Within 24 hours of getting home Fred. Olsen had a letter through our door, admitting things had not been very good, blaming force majeure, and offering us a discount on some future booking under various conditions.

However, following the coverage in the Daily Mirror, I emailed the paper to say that I strongly believe that ship is not safe (due to its internal layout and arrangements) and should not be allowed to sail in such weather conditions, and that passengers should have been warned and offered the chance to postpone their holiday, especially as there were so many old and infirm people aboard.

The journo I spoke to said they had had hundreds of people contact them with similar arguments, and he asked for a copy of the F.O letter which I faxed to him. My sister also sent some photos - only one of mine really showed what those waves look like. Waves are surprisingly difficult to photograph, as you probably know. Timing is all!

Anyway, the thing to do is buy a Daily Mirror on Friday.

I see the BBC has had some coverage too, interviewing people as they left the ship. You can get all this by googling 'Balmoral' and the media route you want.

Personally I still feel a bit queasy and not eating, and the floor is still moving around gently (Friday morning). I'd like to know why this happens, and how long it goes on for.


Maggie Ansell said...

Hi Griselda

Will try to remember the reason for the moving floor (I did once know). The same thing happened to me when I went by train to Poland in 1961 (can I possibly be that old I have to ask ?!). Anyway, when we stopped off in East Berlin (pre-wall), visited the Tiergarten and stopped for lunch, it was exactly the same thing - although worse sitting than standing I seem to recall. We had another long train journey to reach our ultimate destination in the south west and I think it was 2 to 3 days before I finally felt balanced again.

Lynn-Marie Hodges said...

I can remember the floor rocking when I first started to fly for a living. I had to wear 2 inch high heels for 12 hours a day at 35,000 ft. I'd get home, my poor over worked feet would be in pain and I had to hold onto the wall as I walked myself down the hall to the bathroom. Stop after a few weeks. And as for the heels, I can't find them I think their under the bed somewhere?
I truly enjoyed your story telling.With a few years of sailing under my belt, I can't understand how or why they'd head into bad weather. I know they have the tools to either avoid,go around or find shelter. Yesturday,the airport was all but shut down due to bad weather. Flights cancelled hours before hand, the airlines knowning weather is on the way. I myself had to sit for 12 hours before ending my day, yes I said 12 hours of hanging about the airport, waiting. Yes people were upset that they couldn't get to places planned but safety should always come first. It seems to me that bucks or pounds out weighed the safety of all on board. Sad to think that some who fell may never fully recover.

As I'm sure your well aware that each time we leave the safety of our homes and head out on the road, either by car, train, ship or plane, there's a good reason it's called an adventure. One never knows what's up ahead?

So glad to know your safe and back home. Let us know when your planning the next trip out?
I'll be ready to stand by!